Home Forums Trouble Every Day How to play Marbles and Second Man

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  hugoch 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

hugoch
    Participant

Hi guys,
    can someone help me with the guitar chords/tab for Marbles and Second Chance Man? Maybe Neil himelf? 🙂

Thanks!
    Hugo

romain
    Participant

As far as i remember :
    marbles is based on this : A-G-F#m (during the verses ; there are several guitars intertwined, a bit difficult to sort out who is playing what…) ; the chorus is D-F#m ; and at the end, it goes A-G-F#m, and goes up again I think (F#m-G-A)

I think second chance man is built around Bm-A-G, with interesting variations i watched Neil do a few times live (especially during “i don’t know what now…” – but I don’t know what the chords are at that moment)

Can’t help much more…

Romain

hugoch
    Participant

Thank you very much for your help Romain.

Regarding Second Chance Man, i watched Neil play it live twice, but i didn´t get the chords at the time and the videos i’ve found on youtube are filmed to far for me to get the chords as well…

Hugo

romain
    Participant

I’ve tried to play it again, and from what I get :
    -it’s definitely Bm-A-G (it starts on G)
    -when you really hear Neil’s guitar rather high (“there was a…”), it’s a “G” chord but played with a “D” structure : the typical, simple, “D” but played on the 7th fret instead of the 2nd. Then the Bm is played simply with the last three strings barred on the 7th fret, and the A is the same on the 5th fret (only it’s major instead of minor, so you need your forefinger on the 6th fret on the G string…)
    -and during the break, with the previous chords, i think it goes :
    G……………..A-G………..Bm ……..A…(variation on A)… G…………A-G ……..and again
    i don’t know what now, you’ve heard it before, and i was………sitting all evening…

I don’t know if all this is very clear…

hugoch
    Participant

Romain,

your explanation was PERFECT 🙂

I am a beginner/intermediate guitar player, so it’s difficult for me to understand the chords when they are not played at the “normal” place of the neck. But with your explanation of the chords and a lot of views of the 2016 Rough trade east show, i figured it out. I’m still trying to understand Neil´s technique on the “i don´t know…” part because it is too fast for me, but with your help, now i can play the entire song. And i love this song. Thank you very much Romain! You made my day 🙂

I spoke with Neil after last year’s Berlin show and i told him that i ask for help with some of tindersticks songs here at the forum. Unfortunately, i took almost an year to do it but i will ask for help again soon 🙂

romain
    Participant

Great ! I’m glad it worked !
    And yes, the “break” is quite tricky, i can’t really play it, it goes too fast… I’m not completely sure what Neil does at that moment…

There was some sort of “chords / tabs” compilation circulating, a few years ago, i think i remember, but i’m not sure, and i don’t have it.

Anyway, there are a few other ones i got from listening / watching during the concerts, and i’m sure there are other members who can help, so don’t hesitate to ask !

Romain

PS : that “D” structure high or low on the neck is very useful… on the 4th fret, it’s an E ; on the 5th, an F, on the 7th, a G, etc… And the same goes with Dm…

hugoch
    Participant

I have that chords/tabs compilation for the first 4 albuns, but sometimes it’s difficult for me to get the songs right. Marbles is one of those songs, because as you mentioned before, there are a lot of guitars playing and i don´t know how to play that beautiful riff that goes trough the entire song… I don´t know who played it on the original recording, but i think it was David Kitt who played it during the Falling Down the Mountain tour.

But i will ask for additional help 🙂

Thanks!
    Hugo

romain
    Participant

I think it’s either played with the “power chords”, but only on the last three or four strings, or with that “D” structure high on the neck. It’s not the typical, simple, A/G/F#m low on the neck.

If you try with the “power chords” (sorry if you know all this and if it sounds obvious)
    A is :
    e—–1
    b—–1
    g—–2
    d—–3
    with the index (1) on 5th fret, forefinger(2) on the 6th, ringfinger(3) on the 7th

G is the same structure 2 frets down, and F#m is almost the same (bar the last three strings with the index on the 2nd fret, +ringfinger on the 4th fret, d-string).
    If you pluck it with these chords, it should sound better.

And for the chorus, let the D string ring, and don’t use the e-string
    when Stuart sings “they’re going to hurt you…”, you go up the neck on the D string : first untouched, then 2nd fret and then fourth fret and you get to the F#m chord

For the D-structure, it’s too difficult to write it down, i should take pictures or a video, but i’m not very good at doing this… It’s basically a D chord on the 9th fret (=A), then on the 7th (=G), then a Dm on the 6th fret (=F#m), all this without playing the high E string…… hmmmmmm….
    Basically, for the A chord :

9th fr 10th f 11th f
    e—–x
    b——————–2
    g———-1
    d——————————-3

(edit : i see the way i write it doesn’t work once it’s published… maybe we can talk through private mails, it’ll be easier…)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  romain.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  romain.

hugoch
    Participant

Hi Romain,

sorry for the late reply but i was on vacation for a few days.

I think i got the main chords and that D structure as well, but i have to practice more. Specially in the “They´re going to hurt you…” part there is a sound of another guitar that i still don´t know how to play. Watching some live videos it’s funny because i don´t get what Neil is playing troughout the song and i noticed that Stuart does a little solo in the end.

Thank you for your help. My e-mail is hugoch89@gmail.com.

Hugo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.