Singing Skies 2013-05-28T14:13:45+00:00

Home Forums Trouble Every Day Singing Skies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Was anyone else a little disappointed with Singing Skies?

I felt it would benefit from being substantially physically larger. I didn’t feel I could really appreciate it at the scale it was presented. I don’t know how large the original paintings were but from the look of it they were scaled right down for the book.

Another opportunity missed I guess. I also think they could have done a limited 7″ or some such with it… Overall it all just felt a little ‘inadequate’. Maybe we are just spoiled by todays dearth of ‘Deluxe’, ‘Super-Deluxe’, ‘Mega-Super-Deluxe-Comes-With-A-Vile-Of-The-Singers-Blood’ versions 😉

Sorry.

atibens
    Participant

then you have obviously NOT read the “Singing skies (reviews)” thread, here: https://www.tindersticks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=653

Xavier wrote there

@va jouer wrote:

This is a beautiful book.

The juxtaposition of paintings and texts is great, even though you miss the physical aspect of the painting on board when flicking through the pages. It’s good to know that the original paintings are about the size of the book, so the pictures inside are slightly smaller than the originals.

X

Timothy
    Participant

Fair point I had missed that post. Still… Even with that said I would prefer the book to have been bigger even if that meant more white space around the images to you can view them better. Fortunately I bought two copies, one to keep and one to read, the reading one has already had it’s spine broken!

va jouer
    Participant

@timothy wrote:

I also think they could have done a limited 7″ or some such with it… Overall it all just felt a little ‘inadequate’. Maybe we are just spoiled by todays dearth of ‘Deluxe’, ‘Super-Deluxe’, ‘Mega-Super-Deluxe-Comes-With-A-Vile-Of-The-Singers-Blood’ versions 😉

Sorry.

We could be getting that little extra soon: Martin Wallace did a video for the exhibition… we could be in for a treat 😉

BTW, did Romain or someone else mention that the actual typewriter used by Stuart was on display, with a board of the original (?) sheets pinned onto it.

The acoustic show was a superb echo to the songs in the book, it was the perfect intimate setting for those beautiful songs that are sometimes overlooked…

X

A Sack Of Grain
    Participant

I think it sits nicely with other Tindersticks items like the Claire Denis boxset and follows their usual understated but lovingly produced packaging style, but yeah, I agree that a ltd. Lucky Dog 7″ of the unheard tracks would’ve been welcome – maybe they didn’t even think of it though.

Disappointing to hear that the spine on yours is broken already. It does seem quite fragile.

paddock

I guess it would be wrong of us to believe we could prove one of John Lydgate’s quotes incorrect…

va jouer
    Participant

@paddock wrote:

I guess it would be wrong of us to believe we could prove one of John Lydgate’s quotes incorrect…

😆

X

Mattsay

I love it. 🙂

jmb066
    Participant

No wonder shipping was so high, I ordered 2 copies only need 1. So if anyone in the states would like a copy, $40 includes shipping and handling and I will send you the unopened copy to you. If interested please message me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.