TOP XX Album Lists of 20172017-12-06T14:07:03+00:00

Home Forums Trouble Every Day TOP XX Album Lists of 2017

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

as part of the tradion of the past years on this phorum,

here i start with my Top 10 album list of 2017

It’s 6th of December, Nikolaus-Day here in germany, traditionally a day to get & give some sweet little gifts for kids, like this pumpkinseed-salt flavoured one i got this morning from a guy called “Saint Nikolaus”, who was the original template for Santa Claus as we know it now.

This year i decided to post my 2017 Top 10/12 Album List a bit earlier, mainly because i was quick in re-listening this year’s released albums (i enjoyed) starting since the end of a rainy & cold november and there were in the end not too many to re-check. It was not the cracker year as last year, but luckily included not as much deaths in the top list too. I was really struggling with my traditional Top 12 list, so i made only a Top 10 list, including 2 well known works of the past 2 years in a different, but still great form, on the number #9 & 10 i really enjoyed this year. So numbers #11 & #12 must be found in the lower section of “Subsequent Albums” with some really nice albums in there too.

Number # 1 “Crack-Up” was clearly the album that replaced “Skeleton Tree” in the car for the main part of 2017, so it’s a clear winner, as this is the album i listened the most. #2 “A Crow looked at Me” from Mount Eerie was unfortunately released only in Japan on limited CD (so i am still on the hunt for a reasonably priced physical copy) same as some other albums. 2017 looks to be the year that digital albums took slowly over and classic releases, like Vinyl-LP or CD, make no sense anymore for some artists. Unfortunately, this trend will continue into 2018 and well thereafter. But we will see this then later next year, so here’s finally my Top 10 list of 2017 which i listened & enjoyed most:

1. Fleet Foxes – Crack-Up
    2. Mount Eerie – A Crow Looked At Me
    3. Grizzly Bear – Painted Ruins
    4. Godspeed You! Black Emporer – Luciferian Towers
    5. Iron & Wine – Beast Epic
    6. Aldous Harding – Party
    7. Micah P. Hinson – Presents The Holy Strangers
    8. Mark Eitzel – Hey Mr Ferryman
    9. Conor Oberst – Salutations
    10. Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell LIVE & The Greatest Gift (C&L Outakes & Remixes)

The Subsequent Albums:

here are some other good albums, some of them might be on #11 & 12 of a traditional Top 12 list. Mostly albums which i haven’t listened enough (yet) or they just didn’t grew on me to make it to this years top 10/12 list in the end.. Some of them i had great hopes for, but in the end they didn’t click in perfectly. Some of them are more disappointing, but contain some great tunes although. so here’s the rest i enjoyed:

(without special order – just (nearly) alphabetical … might always be incomplete as i tend to forget the one or another release traditionally):

Julien Baker – Turn Out the Lights / Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile – Lotta Sea Lice / Björk – Utopia / Phoebe Bridgers – Stranger in the Alps / Bonnie Prince Billy – Best Troubador / Cigarettes After Sex – Cigarettes After Sex / The Clientele – Music For The Age Of Miracles / The Colorists & Emiliana Torrini – The Colorists & Emiliana Torrini / CousteauX – CousteauX / Paul Draper – Spooky Action / Dear Reader – Day Fever / Father John Misty – Pure Comedy / Chilly Gonzales & Jarvis Cocker – Room 29 / Annie Hardie – Rules / David Kitt – YOUS / Mark Lanegan – Gargoyle / Jens Lekman – Life Will See You Now / Laura Marling – Semper Femina / Mogwai – Every Country’s Sun / The Mountain Goats – Goths / Kevin Morby – City Music / Morrissey – Low in High School / The National – Sleep Well Beast / This Is The Kit – Moonshine Freeze / Timbere Timbre – Sincerely, Future Pollution

Live / O.S.T. albums:

Here are also my picks for the LIve Album and/or O.S.T Album category, of course including the usual suspects:
    tindersticks – Minute Bodies
    Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell LIVE

Dissapointments of the year (without further comment):

Arcade Fire – Everything Now
    Angus & Julia Stone – Snow

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  atibens.
    David
    Participant

Fine list. I’ll have to do mine.

Timothy
    Participant

In no particular order…

The War on Drugs – A Deeper Understanding
    The National – Sleep Well Beast
    Lorde – Melodrama
    Frank Ocean – Blonde/Endless
    Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile – Lotta Sea Lice
    David Kitt – YOUS
    New Jackson – From Night to Night
    Lana Del Rey – Lust for Life
    Goldie – The Journey Man
    Conor Oberst – Ruminations/Saluations

But by far and away the most played has been Nick Cave, Skeleton Tree and Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.

Gig of the year… Oddly as I generally despise The O2, but Nick Cave at The O2. Closely followed by any of the four nights or The National or any of the three nights of Sigur Ross all at The Hammersmith Apollo.

hemmel
    Keymaster

Kind of a weird year for me. Not a lot of standouts, but I also managed to stay away from albums that, based on reviews, would have let me down.

Here’s what I enjoyed this year:
    Laetitia Sadier Source Ensemble – Find Me Finding You – any year with new music from Laetitia is cause for celebration.

Slowdive – Slowdive – WAY better than it had any right to be….probably would have been my favorite concert of the year, too, if I hadn’t seen Nick Cave earlier.

Beach House – B-sides – hadn’t really spent a lot of time with their b-sides and comp. songs, so there was a lot to enjoy here.

Nadja & Vampillia – The Perfect World – I supported Important Records kickstarter, and received a random assortment of 100 cds; so far, this has been an absolute standout. Neo-classical, mixed with GY!BE, drone, fuzz, and some other nameless, formless genres. This is also not a 2017 album, but I don’t care. You need to hear it.

The National – Sleep Well Beast – MUCH better than their last, so that makes me happy. Makes me feel like they hung out with Thom Yorke recently.

Luna – A Sentimental Education and A Place of Greater Safety (instrumental EP) – I’m really enjoying the resurgence of new Luna. An album of covers paired with an original ep of instrumentals. Another awesome concert.

Melanie de Biasio – Lilies – I have to admit, the single “gold junkies” had me worried (and it’s still the weakest track), but the album is absolutely wonderful. This track, in particular, is a new version from the one off her debut album.

Jackie Shane – Any Other Way – An absolutely essential compilation of what Jackie went through and the music that she made.

Matt Christensen – I Know What The Fight Is – I subscribe to his bandcamp page, so this year, I have been flooded with new music, but this album is a standout. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any audio out there. If you like Mark Hollis, you’ll like this (and Matt’s band, Zelienople). A continued “thank you” to Dan for introducing me to this year ago.

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings – The Soul of a Woman – her last album, after passing away a year ago.

Concerts:
    I saw Nick Cave, Luna, and Slowdive. All essential.

Obviously, I enjoyed the ‘sticks Minute Bodies, though I’m still processing it. I need to watch the video, which I think will help.

jrussell84
    Participant
    atibens
    Participant

SP reissue on a Vinyl Label , just like for 1st &2nd album in the past

https://www.discogs.com/label/169635-Music-On-Vinyl

David
    Participant

As ever lots of great music this year but not sure there have been lots of great albums. I’ve found myself loving tracks but not really loving many albums. The ones i’ve listened to most are i think below

Mearsault – I will kill again. An early release and an album thats stayed with me all year. Contains the best line written in song this year “the last thing that we need now…is another song about the fuckin sea”

Aldous Harding – Party. A great debut. Horizon is close to my favurite track of the year and the album covers lots of styles with a fairly fresh approach. Makes great videos too and a real talent.

Phoebe Bridgers – Stranger in the Alps. Another young singer songwriter making music beyond her years. Lovely cover of “”you missed my heart” and fine originals like Smoke Signals and Killer.

Ive also really enjoyed Slowdive, Weather station, Amanda Palmers “piano is evil”, Laura Marling. Mavis Staples. Jackie Shane, Nicole atkins ( A great return to form for her) – some of those are mentioned by others too and all fine albums.

Trackwise – “Everything Now” was Arcade Fires best song since Funeral but the albums not great. “First we take Dumbarton” by KId Canerval is also one of the songs of the year.

Sure i’ve missed loads – Gig Wise my favourite show was a pop contry band called “Little big Town” whose song “Better Man” is probably my most listened to track of the year as my wife loves it. Total classic – writen by Taylor Swift of all people.

Dan
    Participant

Not a stellar year but still some great music in 2017. The debut from Lowly was my favorite release this year and it was great to have albums released from bands that I’ve been following for a number of years. I hope everyone has a happy and healthy new year.

1. Lowly – Heba
    2. Slowdive – S/T
    3. King Gizzard & the Lizzard Wizard – Sketches of Brunswick East
    4. Laetitia Sadier Source Ensemble – Finding Me Finding You
    5. The Heliocentrics – A World Of Masks
    6. Melanie De Biasio – Lilies
    7. Do Make Say Think – Stubborn Persistent Illusions
    8. Godspeed You Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers
    9. The Clientele – Music For The Age Of Miracles
    10. LCD Soundsystem – American Dream
    A few honorable mentions:
    Grizzly Bear, Thee Oh Sees, Arcade Fire, The XX, Bitchin Bajas.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.