Ypres – In Flanders Fields Museum 17 Octotber2014-09-15T08:46:37+00:00

Home Forums Trouble Every Day Ypres – In Flanders Fields Museum 17 Octotber

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have ordered from the shop as I like to be able to support the band directly. As a bonus it’s way cheaper than the amazon.com (I’m in the US) pricing anyway.

Moray
    Participant

Can anyone answer a question about the last ‘track’? Is it actually a video, or just the music from the video installation?

hemmel
    Keymaster

@moray wrote:

Can anyone answer a question about the last ‘track’? Is it actually a video, or just the music from the video installation?

It’s just the music, and not the video.

Moray
    Participant

@hemmel wrote:

@moray wrote:

It’s just the music, and not the video.

thanks

tinderplank
    Participant

Review from today’s Independent:

Commissioned as the soundtrack to the In Flanders Fields Museum commemorating the dead of the Great War, Ypres was designed by Tindersticks’ Stuart Staples and Dan McKinna as a series of interlocking orchestra loops running non-stop, their aspect shifting slightly as the visitor moves from room to room. Not that the mood could ever be other than deeply sad: the models are Gorecki’s ‘Symphony of Sorrowful Strings’, Barber’s ‘Adagio for Strings’, Feldman’s music for the Rothko Chapel, and, in the keening violins of ‘Ananas et poivre’ and ‘sunset glow’, Arvo Part. But it’s the 17-minute ‘Whispering Guns’ that sets the tone, with sombre strings swelling behind a tolling bell that brings to mind Gray’s ‘Elegy Written in a Country Courtyard’. 4 stars

atibens
    Participant

absolutely overwhelming & impressive album (nothing comparable to what they have done before) – really love this one (thanks Neil btw 😉 )

steve s

Yes. Hugely impressive. This is a masterpiece in ambient and I have something in my eye.

tinderplank
    Participant

Completely agree. This is a superb piece of work and all concerned should be very proud of it.

shakal
    Participant

Oh Ati, you spoiler. I involuntaryly looked at it 😮
    while taking a break from staring at the street,
    expecting the mailman 🙂

Hank
    Participant

Superb. I have not been to Ypres, but I imagine that these soundscapes capture the feeling perfectly. Atmospheric, compassionate, respectful and dignified.

Hank.

atibens
    Participant

@shakal wrote:

Oh Ati, you spoiler. I involuntaryly looked at it 😮
    while taking a break from staring at the street,
    expecting the mailman 🙂

i didn’t spoil the liner notes here (with some surprises btw) … so don’t look at the fb tinderb. group 😉 before your postman rang on your door 😉

klaher
    Miguel

Will this be available on Spotify anytime soon?

ChrisP
    Participant

@miguel wrote:

Will this be available on Spotify anytime soon?

It’s available on Spotify in France now.

sacr

Lovely album, very different to other Sticks records.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.