Ypres – In Flanders Fields Museum 17 Octotber2014-09-15T08:46:37+00:00

Home Forums Trouble Every Day Ypres – In Flanders Fields Museum 17 Octotber

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Motown45
    Participant
    Post count: 25

    Really finding this a strong and affecting listen. There’s echoes of the Claire Denis s’tracks in there, but the unique factor is that it’s unremittingly bleak. Normally there’s s hint of gallows humour or hope in the darkest of Tindersticks material, but rightly for the subject matter this offers nothing of the sort. Having a century-long family connection to Ypres where my great grandfather was killed in action, this also has a very strong emotional resonance for me, so although it won’t be a regular play, it’s already very special.

    atibens
    Participant
    Post count: 976

    so nobody mentioned this – any thoughts or comments:

    Pedro
    Member
    Post count: 93

    Hi; I think this is the second of three great releases by Tindersticks mark II, along with HS & TSR. Probably a landmark in their output, and for sure, one of my 2014 favourites.
    Has anyone noticed that the forthcomming einstürzende neubauten new album is also I world war related? Check; http://www.neubauten.org/lament

    Neil Stringfellow
    Member
    Post count: 223

    I don’t have a view on this because I’ve not heard it yet. I bought it on CD last week but the truth is I can’t bring myself to listen to it.
    The reason is that part of me always wanted to walk into the actual museum and experience the whole thing. To hear the music along with the information and see the whole project before me, to walk around Ypres and the western front and contemplate the awful waste of life and war.

    va jouer
    Participant
    Post count: 499

    @neil Stringfellow wrote:

    I don’t have a view on this because I’ve not heard it yet. I bought it on CD last week but the truth is I can’t bring myself to listen to it.
    The reason is that part of me always wanted to walk into the actual museum and experience the whole thing. To hear the music along with the information and see the whole project before me, to walk around Ypres and the western front and contemplate the awful waste of life and war.

    Same here, and I eventually made the trip today.
    It is hard to describe what I felt when I heard the music, it is not like a film score, it is not background music, but it conveys a sense of gravity and respect. It is ominous but it is not heavy, you can’t say it is beautiful, because it is not meant to be so, it simpl is, up to a point when you no longer notice it, but you would if it were missing.
    Strangel enough, I was quite relieved to go up the 231 steps that took me and my son to the top of the belfry, for it kind of took me out of the tragic picture of the war, literally like some fresh air I needed, to get rid of that lump in m throat.

    X

    Neil Stringfellow
    Member
    Post count: 223

    @va jouer wrote:

    @neil Stringfellow wrote:

    I don’t have a view on this because I’ve not heard it yet. I bought it on CD last week but the truth is I can’t bring myself to listen to it.
    The reason is that part of me always wanted to walk into the actual museum and experience the whole thing. To hear the music along with the information and see the whole project before me, to walk around Ypres and the western front and contemplate the awful waste of life and war.

    Same here, and I eventually made the trip today.
    It is hard to describe what I felt when I heard the music, it is not like a film score, it is not background music, but it conveys a sense of gravity and respect. It is ominous but it is not heavy, you can’t say it is beautiful, because it is not meant to be so, it simpl is, up to a point when you no longer notice it, but you would if it were missing.
    Strangel enough, I was quite relieved to go up the 231 steps that took me and my son to the top of the belfry, for it kind of took me out of the tragic picture of the war, literally like some fresh air I needed, to get rid of that lump in m throat.

    X

    Thanks for sharing the visit to the Museum with us, aside from the music what was the museum displays and information like? Is it just a general history of the actual war or a more local account specific to the area?
    I would love to make the trip… I would need to carry my son to the belfry though as he is only 14 months and can’t walk yet! I know what you mean about lumps in throat, I have been to equally humbling places, like Yad Vasham holocaust museum and Hiroshima. They are emotional experiences but much needed for us to reflect our humanity and capacity to commit evil.

    va jouer
    Participant
    Post count: 499

    The museum is mainly deovted to the history of Ypres during the war. My wife was slightly disappointed, as she expected something with a broader approach to the conflict, although there are displays that do explain the build up to the conflict (such as how each country had been getting its population ready in the preceding years, or how kids at school were taught specific things to reinforce patriotic feelings)
    I must say that WWI assumed a particuliar spot in my mind after my wife, who is a primary school teacher, devoted a large part of the curriculum to that aspect of history. It was seconded by video documents, and a radio broadcast about the Battle of The Somme (near where I live), or Craonne.
    I liked the short films that recreate the life of slodiers at the time, as if they were talking straight to you. There is that part about the first Christmas on the front, when you realise how absurd the whole thing was. It reminded me of Joyeux Noel, the movie that came out a few years ago, about this episode of WWI. Which in turn reminded me of a Paul Valery quotation about war as “the massacre of people who don’t know each other, for the benefit of people who know each other, but don’t massacre each other”.

    X

    klaher
    Member
    Post count: 24
    pete
    Participant
    Post count: 21

    Looking through Record Collector this weekend and in the review for the Ypres album it mentions the rumour that the forthcoming new album will use the the Ypres soundtrack as a reference point in the project.

    atibens
    Participant
    Post count: 976

    @pete wrote:

    Looking through Record Collector this weekend and in the review for the Ypres album it mentions the rumour that the forthcoming new album will use the the Ypres soundtrack as a reference point in the project.

    http://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/ypres

    “… It’s far from a comfortable listen, but nevertheless has a redemptive quality across its six tracks, which will loop and interlock in the exhibit itself.
    Obviously to place lyrics on top would not suit the occasion, but firm fans may well long for them. Word is, this is the start of a longer process geared towards a standalone album, so heaven knows what kind of emotional depth that will plumb. “

    ChrisP
    Participant
    Post count: 110

    @pedro wrote:

    Has anyone noticed that the forthcomming einstürzende neubauten new album is also I world war related? Check; http://www.neubauten.org/lament

    Thanks for the heads-up, Pedro.

    Brief interview with Blixa Bargeld about the project in German (http://www.goethe.de/ins/fr/lp/kul/mag/kw1/de13568802.htm) and French (http://www.goethe.de/ins/fr/lp/kul/mag/kw1/fr13568802.htm)

    Dan
    Participant
    Post count: 200

    Here’s a great review from the Quietus last week in case anyone missed it.

    http://thequietus.com/articles/16643-tindersticks-ypres-review

    tinderplank
    Participant
    Post count: 586

    That is the best review of Ypres so far. Thanks Dan.

    hemmel
    Keymaster
    Post count: 738
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.